Do you ever read an ingredients list on a product and struggle to identify what half of the ingredients are? Making your own at home – like countertop spray and sodas – are not only easy, they give you a piece of mind because you know all the ingredients used. If you’re thinking of making products at home, start with something simple like ginger ale.
Not only does ginger taste delicious, but it also has a ton of health benefits. The main chemical compound, or bioactive, in ginger is called gingerol. It has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects!
The next time you’re feeling nauseous consider having some ginger. It will help relieve that unsettling feeling in your stomach. This wonderful root has also been proven to be useful against muscle soreness. It doesn’t have an immediate impact, but it does help with reducing day to day progression of muscle pain.
Now that you know the benefits, here’s the recipe:
What you need:
1 cup of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of water
Juice from half a lemon
Juice from 1-2 limes
Mint, to garnish (optional)
What to do:
1. In a saucepan, combine ginger, sugar, and water, and simmer slowly until sugar is completely dissolved and ginger is softened.
2. Strain the warm ginger syrup and leave to cool.
3. Fill a tall glass with ice chunks, then add 1 part of syrup and 3 parts of carbonated water. (More syrup can be added later if desired)
4. Add lime and lemon juice (including wedges) into a glass.
5. Garnish with mint (optional), stir and enjoy!